Friday, January 15, 2010

exciting!

as we speak, my 9 week old daughter is laying next to me on our bed, half naked in JUST a onesie. no diaper. explanation needed? i thought so.

i've always been the odd one in my family. I was vegetarian for 8 years, went on a peace walk from new orleans to dc on a lark, travel whenever the mood strikes (thats often), and moved halfway across the country for a winter just 'cause.

so when i became a single mother, it wasn't surprising that i chose alternative parenting methods. I had a home birth (we'll save that for another blog.) we are doing the breastfeeding, attachment parenting, co-sleeping, baby wearing things... and now Olive and I can slap another label on ourselves- Olive's going to be a diaper free baby!

I first was introduced to the concept in st louis at an environmental fair. My sister anna and i saw some ladies and tiny little potties and heard what it was about, and then we kept walking our pregnant selves on by. i thought those ladies were bonkers! it was just TOO out there for me. a few months later while i was still pregnant, my lovely friend nina shared with me her friend's experience with her diaperless baby. I was like, "yeah thats interesting and FLIPPING INSAAAANE." finally, last night I stumbled on a website that focused on all these parenting ideals that I hold dear, PLUS diaper freedom. hm.... maybe it was worth looking into.

and what i found was just what we both like. its basically being in tune with your baby on one more level. she does certain things to let me know when she needs to do her thing and i just need to learn those cues. then we have a clean, comfy Olive and a momma who connects and bonds more deeply with her baby, spends less money on diapers, ultimately spending NOTHING on them... and helping the earth by that same fact. yay for being able to find everything and anything on the internet!

12 hours later and i have a giggly naked girl with her clean, dry hiney hanging out and a potty bowl on our bedside table. i think we like it.

hopefully i'll be able to document this unique infancy journey, not just the potty using but general bits as well, for our family and maybe curiousity seekers to follow.

later gators! love.

3 comments:

  1. So... how does that diaperless thing work, Suz?

    And we're all odd ones in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came across your blog!
    Very very cool! I'm the odd one in my family too :). I saw on your profile that you are from WI and your blog name is bluffland.. any chance you're from La Crosse? Just a guess cause La Crosse is surrounded by the bluffs (which is where I live!)

    ReplyDelete